The house is situated in a col between Simpson’s Mountain that rises c. 90m over it c. 1.2km to the NE and lower hills that rise c. 40-60m over it c. 1-1.3km to the SW, SSE and SE. The headwaters of the S-N Killary Water are c. 70m to the E. A two storey and attic house (int. dims 12.4m N-S; 6.4m E-W) is attached to the S of the tower house (ME012-040002-), but most of the W wall does not survive and there is a base-batter on the E wall. Located towards the N end of the E wall (T 1.95m) is a flat-arched doorway (Wth 1.5m) that has a blocked embrasure just to its S. The S wall has a small fireplace (Wth 1.35m) and there may be another fireplace towards the S end of the W wall. The first floor has two large windows in the E wall and a robbed fireplace, the flue of which projects on the outside of the wall, on the S wall. There is evidence of at least one window in the S gable of the house. Archaeological testing (07E0971) by C. Duffy c. 15-30m to the E and SE at the closest point produced no related material (excavations.ie 2007:1378).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 13 June 2016
Amended: 9 March 2021
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.