Located on an E-facing slope that is on the summit of a ENE-WSW ridge. According to John O’Donovan writing in 1836 (Herity 2001, 46) there was a stone called ‘Cloiche Stucaigh’ that was about three and a half feet high (c. 1m) and stood on a small moat. A pattern was held on the 10th of July in honour of it, and the name ‘Stuck Stone’ is now applied to the road junction just to the N. The stone survived until the end of the nineteenth century at least (Cochrane and Rhys 1898, 55 fn), but no trace of the mound or stone survived in 1968 (SMR file) when there was a sand pit at the location.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 3 August 2022Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage