Located on the NE end of a short NE-SW ridge (L c. 200m) that is part of the ENE-WSW Slieve Breagh ridge. A large circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 70m N-S; c. 65m E-W) is depicted only on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is annotated as a ‘Fort’. In 1969 it was described (SMR file) as a circular area (diam. 50m N-S; 50m E-W) defined by a small section of a bank (Wth of base 4m; int. H 0.7m; ext. H 1.5m) incorporated into a field bank SE-S with an outer drain, and by a low scarp elsewhere.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 3 August 2022
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage