Located at the centre of hillfort (ME013-012001-) and at the SW summit of a NE-SW ridge (L c. 1.2km) that has three summits. The ground falls away steeply on all sides except N-NE where the slope is much less before it rises again to the central summit. The barrow is described as a ‘Moat’ in gothic lettering on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. It is a grass-covered earthen mound (diam. of base 12.8m E-W; 12m N-S) with a rather flat top (diam. c. 5; H c. 1m at N to c. 1.3m at S). (Ó Ríordáin 1956)
This monument is subject to a preservation order made under the National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2014 (PO no. 12/1987), and is in state ownership: No. 651.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 3 August 2022
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage