A tower with an attached but roofless two storey house is depicted at Grangegeeth in Slane barony on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/) but as Grangegeeth had once been owned by the abbey of Mellifont (LH023-007002-) and in 1640 was owned by the Protestant Lord Charles Moore and was not forfeit it was not recorded in detail in the Civil Survey (1654-6). However, the castle at Grangegeeth close to the townland boundary with Ardcalf and Knockhirk in Slane parish is depicted on the map and listed (Simington 1940, 352-3). A ruin is not depicted on Taylor and Skinner’s map of (1778, 42). A structure is indicated in outline as a square tower (dims c. 15m N-S; c. 15m E-W) with four rectangular corner towers on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6" map where it is described in italic lettering as the site of an Old Castle. Situated on a broad E-W ridge, no feature is visible at ground level in pasture.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 8 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.