Located at the crest of a W and S-facing slope at the SW edge of a fairly level plateau. A large circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 70m) that is annotated as a ‘Fort’ is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map but only an arc of the bank SE-W-NW is represented on the 1908 edition with a mound, probably representing spoil, in the interior. The bank (at SW: Wth of base 2.4m; Wth of top 0.8m; int. H 0.6m; ext. H 1.8m) survives SE-W-NW, with an outer drain SE-SW. There is an oval grass-covered mound (dims 16m NW-SE; 12.5m NE-SW; max. H 1.2m at SE) inside the bank at SE that melds into the natural ground level and is probably the spoil from the removal of the rest of the bank.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 3 August 2022Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage