A castle at Annagh (43) in Moylagh parish is not depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map but is on the parish map (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Robert Nugent of Portluman, Co. Westmeath, owned almost a hundred acres there in 1640 but the castle was not on that property (Simington 1940, 267). It is depicted as an oblong building (dims c. 20m NW-SE; c. 10m NE-SW) with a projection at the N end of the W side on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map. It is located on top of a hillock. The grass-covered remains of a building (dims c. 20m NW-SE; W c. 7m NE-SW) survive with a subrecatngular enclosure (dims c. 40m NW-SE; c. 28m NE-SW) defined by grass-covered banks is attached to the W. The deserted settlement (ME014-027001-) is located c. 40m to the S.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 8 June 2016
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.