Located towards the bottom of the S-facing slope of the Lough Crew Hills. It is built into the S face of a wall beside a field gate on the N side of the Kells to Loughcrew road. This is a complete limestone disc-headed cross (H 1.32m; Span 0.64m; T 0.3m) composed of two stones. All the edges are chamfered, but they stop 0.08m above the base. The stem (Wth at base 0.3m; H 0.82m) narrows as it rises, and the arms and top are smaller (Wth 0.22m; L 0.15m). There is a mortice (dims 0.1m x 0.1m; D 5cm) on top of the cross. The disc-head (diam. 0.42m) has hollows suggesting a ring, and a cross incised with double lines that has bar-terminals. The date 1594 and the name Mary Plunkett are inscribed in false relief beneath a crucifixion in relief, although the lettering is badly worn. Mary was a daughter of Edward Plunkett, who inherited the Lough Crew estate in 1588 and she is thought to have built the church at Drumsawry (ME009-042002-). (O’Reilly 1958, 51)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
See attached image.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 19 January 2015Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.