This souterrain has been open since the nineteenth century (Rotheram 1893, 306-07). The entrance is in the bank of rath (ME015-018001-) at SSE, and it may be close to the original entrance. A corbelled and lintelled passage runs NW (L 6.2m) and curves slightly around to the N (L 6. 55m) where it is most commodious (Wth 0.8-0.9m; H 1.4m) before entering a beehive chamber (dims 4.1m NW-SE; 3.8m NE-SW; max. H 2.3m) closed by one large stone at the top. The passage (total L 12.3m) slopes down gently from the entrance and the doorway to the chamber has vertical jamb-stones on either side.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 8 January 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.