ME00694 - MOYLAGH - Ringfort - rath

You are here Home  > National Monuments >  ME00694 - MOYLAGH - Ringfort - rath
Item image
Located on a shelf towards the N end of a N-S ridge. This is a subcircular grass-covered area (dims 33.5m NE-SW; 29.5m NW-SE) defined by a slight but overgrown earthen bank that is largely reduced to a scarp, with an outer fosse (at N: Wth of base c. 2.1m; int. D c. 1.5-c. 2.5m; ext. D c. 1.2m) and an outer overgrown bank (max. H 2m at N) that are well preserved WSW-NE but have largely been removed elsewhere. There is an entrance through the inner (Wth of base 2.5m) and outer (Wth of base 2.4m) banks at ENE. The church (ME015-032----) is on slightly higher ground c. 10m to the S with the motte (ME015-033002-) further S. The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research. Compiled by: Michael Moore Date of revision: 8 January 2019

Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

Monument Details

Address:
MOYLAGH, Meath
GPS:
53.7245, -7.1772
SMRS:
ME015-031----
what3words:
bellowing.ballparks.lifeboat

Nearby Images - Geograph.ie

Nearby Objects - Europeana


Close Reviews

Leave a Review