Situated on the ridge of a N-S spur. A small circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 20m) is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’, and it is depicted as an arc of hachures (Chord c. 35m NNE-SSW) truncated by a N-S field bank at E and a WNW-ESE filed bank at S on the 1908 edition. It was describe as a D-shaped grass-covered area (max. dims c. 30m NNE-SSW; 13m WNW-ESE) defined by a scarp (Wth 9m; H c. 2.3m) SSW-N (L 31.5m) but truncated by field banks at E and S in 1969 (SMR file). All the field banks in the vicinity had been removed by 1995 (OSAP).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 15 January 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.