A castle at Garclonne (41b) in Moylagh parish is not depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map of Fore but is on the parish map (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Richard Plunkett of Loughcrew owned almost 120 acres there in 1640 including ‘one castle in indifferent good repair’ and seven cabins (Simington 1940, 266). It is depicted amongst a cluster of buildings on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as Green Castle. It is depicted as a shell (dims c. 8m N-S; c. 5m E-W) on the OS 25-inch map. Situated in a gently undulating landscape, there are no visible remains, and it is now occupied by a modern house.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.