Located on a SE-facing slope. This is a circular area (diam. 31m NW-SE) planted with coniferous trees that slopes down to the SE (H 1m). It is defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base 4.3-5m; int. H 0.5m at SE to 1.4m at NW; ext. H 1.4-1.6m) and slight traces of an outer fosse or drain (ext. D 0.1-0.3m). The entrance (Wth of base 2.7m) and causeway (Wth of top 2.5m; H 0.45m) are at SSE. A crescent-shaped annexe attached to the W is depicted on the 1908 edition of the OS 6-inch map and is barely perceptible as a grass-covered crescent (dims c. 40m NNW-SSE; c. 15m ENE-WSW) defined by a slight scarp SSE-W-N and attached to the perimeter of the rath at SSE and N. It could be an enclosure or a rath pre-dating rath (ME015-072----).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 January 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.