A castle at Ballinlough (40) in Moylagh parish and Fore barony is not marked on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony or parish maps (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Sir Richard Barnwall of Crickstown (ME039-006----) owned 70 acres there in 1640 and on the premises was ‘a Ruinous Castle’ (Simington 1940, 266). In this parish he also owned Moylagh Castle (ME015-033001-) (ibid.). It is situated in a slight col with higher ground to the NW and SE and lower ground to the W and E. Only the ground floor of a rectangular structure (ext. dims 10.7m NW-SE; 7m NE-SW) survives with traces of barrel-vaulting attached to the NW wall.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 13 June 2016
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage