ME00756 - DIAMOR - Church

You are here Home  > Church >  ME00756 - DIAMOR - Church
Item image
Situated on a rise in a fairly level landscape, and indicated as a roofed building on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map. This consists of the foundations (Wth 0.5m) of a rectangular building orientated E-W (ext. dims c. 16m E-W, c. 7m N-S) with an annexe (dims 5m x 5m) attached to the E end. There is an entrance gap towards the W end of the S wall. It is within a rectangular enclosure (dims 35m N-S; 32m E-W) defined by grass-covered earthen banks (at N: Wth 3m; H 0.2-0.4m) and scarps (at S: H 1.5m) with an entrance gap (Wth 6m) towards the W end of the bank at N. The perimeter at S extends c. 30m further W, but there is no evidence of burial in the grass-covered enclosure. This may be the Catholic chapel of Clonibreny, which Cogan (1862-7, vol. 2, 323-4) says was constructed by Rev. Markus Plunkett and which was soon abandoned. Plunkett was registered as the ‘popish priest of Kilskeare, Diamore, and Clonibreny’ in 1704. The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research. Date of upload/revision: 3 June 2014

Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

Monument Details

Address:
DIAMOR, Meath
GPS:
53.7036, -7.09436
SMRS:
ME015-082----
what3words:
sang.farewell.arcade

Nearby Images - Geograph.ie

Nearby Objects - Europeana


Close Reviews

Leave a Review