ME00767 - HERBERTSTOWN - Ringfort - rath

You are here Home  > National Monuments >  ME00767 - HERBERTSTOWN - Ringfort - rath
Item image
Situated on a prominent rise in an undulating landscape. This is an oval or subrectangular grass-covered area (dims 38m NE-SW; 29m SE-NW) defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base 4-5.5m; int. H 0.2m at E to 0.8m at W; ext. H 1.4-1.6m) and an outer fosse (Wth of top 5-6m; Wth of base 2.5m; ext. D 0.2m at E to 1m at W) that has eroded away E-SE, and traces of an outer counterscarp bank (Wth of base 3m; ext. H 0.3m) that is incorporated into a relict field bank WSW-NNE but absent E-SE. The original entrance (Wth of base 4.7m) and causeway (Wth of top 1.5m; H 0.5m) are at ENE. The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research. Compiled by: Michael Moore Date of revision: 9 January 2019

Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

Monument Details

Address:
HERBERTSTOWN, Meath
GPS:
53.6944, -7.1073
SMRS:
ME015-093----
what3words:
heightened.converter.commented

Nearby Images - Geograph.ie

Nearby Objects - Europeana


Close Reviews

Leave a Review