You are hereHome >Linear earthwork > ME00794 - BALLYNAMONA (Kells Upper By.),RATHBRACK,MOUNTAINPOLE - Linear earthwork
Situated on a slight S-facing slope. It is depicted as a linear hachured feature (L c. 150m) forming the townland boundary between Ballynamona to the W and Mountainpole to the E only on the 1912 edition of the OS 6-inch map. It is on the N side of a minor E-W road, but it may have extended S of that road to the W-E River Blackwater (L c. 350m). North of the road it survives as a fosse (at S: Wth of top 8.7m; D at E: 1.6m) on the E side of an overgrown earthen bank (at S: Wth of base 6m; H at E c. 1.5m; H at W c. 2m). A field bank occupies the base of the fosse and the earthworks decrease in scale as they proceed N.Archaeological testing (05E0558) by E. Halpin and C. Farrimond immediately to the W on the S side of the road produced no related material (excavatioins.ie 2005:1234). (O’Connell 1969, 448)
O’Connell, P. 1969 The topography of the Lough Ramor region. Part II. Breifne, vol. 3, No. 12, 443-80.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 25 February 2019
Amended: 29 January 2021
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage