You are hereHome >Earthwork > ME00804 - BALNAGON UPPER - Earthwork
Situated on the E-facing slope of a hill. A circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 40m) is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’, and it is represented as a circular hachured feature on the 1912 edition. This was described in 1965 as a circular area (diam. c. 40m) defined by an earthen bank (ext. H c. 1.5m) with an outer stone facing and hedge, and a fosse (D c. 0.6m) on the W side (SMR file). By 1969 only a curve in a field bank (Chord c. 40m) NE-SE indicates the monument.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 25 February 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.