Located on a fairly low N-S spur at the S base of the Hill of Lloyd. A souterrain at Newrath Big was known from c. 1845 (Hanley 1967, 60) when it was closed but it was re-opened in the 1890s (Healy 1891) and fully surveyed in the 1975 (Sweetman 1975). It consists of a lintelled passage (L 9.8m N-S) which terminates at the S end in a beehive chamber (diam. 3m; H 2m) that was largely filled with stones. The floor and the roof of the passage stepped down (H 0.6; 0.8m) 5m from the entrance to the chamber and the passage curves to the NE N of this point. At its N end this passage makes a hair-pin turn into an E passage (L 6m plus NNE-SSW) that extends southwards. The roof and floor of this passage also stepped down (1m; 0.7m) close to the junction with the W passage, but its S end is blocked by collapse. The rath (ME055001-) and souterrain (ME016-055----) are c. 170m to the ESE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987), No. 442.
Revised by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 26 February 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.