A castle at Kilskyre (53) in Kilskyre parish and Kells barony is marked as a tower on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony and parish maps adjacent to the church (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) the Earl of Fingal and Henry Plunkett of Hartstown in Killallon parish owned 325 acres at Kilskyre, Villenaghtownme, Millstowne and Cullinstowne, which are all sub-denominations of Kilskyre, in 1640 (Simington 1940, 301). It is situated on a slight rise in a fairly level landscape within the ecclesiastical enclosure (ME016-043005-) and c. 30m SW of the parish church (ME016-044----). Only the ivy-covered NW corner of what was once probably a tower house survives to three storeys with no identifiable architectural features.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 27 February 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.