This bridge spans a NW-SE section of the River Blackwater. The bridge, known as Mabe’s Bridge, or Mapes or Malpas (Simington and O’Keefe 1991, 119) carries the R164 road from Kells to Moynalty and Kingscourt, Co. Cavan. It is depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) county and barony maps, and its name derives from the Mape family who held land at Maperath in Moynalty parish into the seventeenth century (Simington 1940, 305). The bridge has six arches and was expanded in width twice, from the SE (Wth 2m), to the central (Wth 1.2m), and NW (Wth 3m) sections. The last expansion probably took place in 1803 when major works were undertaken (ibid.). The parapet is level and there are no refuges. Repairs to the bridge in 1988 allowed a thorough survey to be undertaken when it was found to be partly built on bedrock. The central portion was built partly on the cut-waters of the original bridge and the down-river arches lack dressed stonework (ibid. 120-1).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 12 April 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.