Situated on a bluff with the N-S Moynalty River c. 60m to the E. James FitzJones, an Irish papist, owned 162 acres at Fyanstown in 1641 (Simington 1940, 282), described as 225 acres on the Down Survey (1656-8) parish map, but a castle at Fyanstown is not recorded on these sources. The castle is depicted on the 1836 and 1912 editions of the OS 6-inch map, but it appears to have been removed.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 12 April 2019Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage