Situated on the S bank of a WNW-ESE stretch of the River Blackwater with the river turning S just past the monument. This feature is depicted as a ringfort a manuscript map (21F 14 (46)) dated 1802 in NLI. It consists of a grass and scrub-covered D-shaped earthen mound (diam. c. 28m NW-SE; 21m NE-SW; H 2m) with trees that is truncated by the stream at NE. There is an entrance ramp at SW. The base of the mound is separated by a berm (at S: Wth 7m) from a field bank and drain E-S-NW. A ditch (Wth of top 3.4m; D 0.6m), probably drainage, extends W-NW to the river.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 15 April 2019Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage