Situated on a fairly level landscape with a small canalised SW-NE stream c. 25m to the S at a point where it changes direction to W-E. The well is depicted on the 1836 and 1912 editions of the OS 6-inch where it is described in gothic script as ‘Tober Ultan’. The parish church of Bury (ME016-041002-), which is c. 2.5km to the WNW, was dedicated to St Ultan of Ardbraccan (ME025-022----). However, the well had been destroyed before the 1830s according to John O’Donovan (Herity 2001, 10) and there is no record of veneration. There is no evidence of the well now.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 16 April 2019Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage