This cross-base was situated on a mound at the SE side of a NE-SW public road in a gently undulating landscape. Cogan (1862-70, 2, 284) notes that it 'had been broken in twain.' The base is undecorated, roughly rectangular and pyramidal-shaped (dims of top 0.73-0.78m; dims of base 0.8-0.87m; H 0.35m) with a small chamfer at the top and a rectangular socket (dims 0.23m x 0.2m; D 0.2m) in the centre. The mound and cross-base were disturbed in 2004 when human remains were uncovered representing at least a middle-aged male: this was dated to AD 1486-1650 (King 2010, 146-151: see ME018-001001-). A rescue excavation (Licence No. 04E1028) revealed a stony platform (c. 2m sq.) which had formed a foundation for the cross base (Murphy 2007).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In this instance the entry has been changed in the light of further work.
Compiled by: Geraldine Stout, Paul Walsh
Date of upload: 20 October 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.