This well is named ‘Tober Patrick’ on the 1st ed. OS 6-inch map (1837) on the S bank of a tributary of the River Boyne. Wilde noted that it was neglected and disused in his time (1849, 170) and Thunder writing in 1886-7 also recorded its ‘neglected’ state. The well is shown and named on the OS 1:2500 survey plan (1912). It is mentioned in the Folklore Commission manuscripts as follows: ‘There is a well in Stackallen called St. Patricks Well because it is believed that St. Patrick when passing drank from it and blessed it and the mark of his knee and hand can be seen to this day on the stone at the well’ There is no visible trace of the this rock which may have been removed in the course of alterations at the well in the 1970’s-1980’s when a modern well and pumphouse were built (pers. comm. Niall Roycroft, 9 September 2016).
Compiled by: Paul Walsh
Date of upload: 12 September 2016
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage