Situated on a small WNW-ESE ridge which is on the S-facing slope of a larger WNW-ESE ridge. This is depicted as a hachured feature only on the 1908 edition of the OS 6-inch map. It was described in 1969 (SMR file) as a raised grass and scrub-covered circular area (diam. 32m NNW-SSE) defined by a high scarp (H 1.8-2.3m) NW-E-SW, with a slight bank (int. H 0.4m at NNE) on its upper edge NNW-NE and ESE-SSW. There was no visible fosse but the entrance may have been at W where the scarp was lowest. Inside the bank at NNE was a small house site (int. dims c. 2m x c. 2m) defined by a low bank (Wth 3m; H 0.2m) but the centre of the rath which slopes down to the SSE (H 1m) was occupied by a larger house site (int. dims c. 10m E-W; 4m N-S). A short section of a N-S field bank from a relict field system was attached to the perimeter at N and a relict E-W field bank crossed the interior S of the centre. The parish church of Gernonstown is c. 40m to the S, but the visible profile of this monument had been removed by 1995 (OSI images).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 27 January 2021
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.