Located towards the bottom of a S-facing slope and c. 100m N of a small NW-SE stream. A mound, described as a ‘Moat’, is depicted on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. This is a flat-topped mound (diam. of base 33m E-W; diam. of top 15-16.5m; H 3m) with no evidence of a surrounding fosse or bank but with a plough scarp on the W side. The river is identified as the Tromma and the mound as Sídh Tromma (Morris 1926, 37) which featured in the legendary route Queen Maeve took from Rathcroghan to Cooley.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 27 January 2021Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.