Situated in a col between the Hill of Slane to the NW and the lower Gallows Hill, the summit of which is c. 100m to the SE. There were reports that a souterrain had fallen in at Slane village c. 1910 (SMR file), but its precise location is not known within c. 100m and no description is available. Archaeological testing (15E0108) by C. Brady in the area immediately to the SW produced no evidence of a souterrain but three small fire-spots (dims c. 0.25-0.6m) were noted (excavations.ie 2015:030).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 27 January 2021Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.