Two medieval graveslabs and other features from the parish church of Stackallan (ME018-030----) are now attached to the W wall of the vestry of the Church of Ireland church at Slane (ME019-023002-). One graveslab (Wth 0.37-0.65m; L 1.71m) is a coffin-shaped sandstone with a floriated cross in relief. A sword with a central groove on the blade and a disc pommel is parallel with the stem of the cross. An inscription incised in lombardic script along the long edges of the stone reads in French: Pater noster P charite pur la / lme sire Richard Descetre le seco. (DU Noyer 1892-4, 3347; Bradley and King 1985, 150-1)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 16 June 2014
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.