In 1822 a visitor to Rosnaree House recorded that ‘about the year 1800, on making some repairs in a part of the house, the workmen discovered a subterranean building, consisting of several apartments, constructed of stones without cement, which appears to have been the most ancient mode of building with such materials. The extent of these repositories has not been determined, as the place was imperfectly explored, and has since been closed up’ (Reid 1823, 8).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload/revision: 10 July 2007
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.