The weir marked on the current ed. OS 6-inch map is depicted as a 'Dam' on the first ed. OS 6-inch map. This weir was built to regulate the flow of water on the River Boyne at this location. There is no cartographic evidence to suggest that there was a medieval fish weir at this location. The precise location of the fish weir that belonged to the Cistercian abbey of Mellifont has not been located. At the dissolution of the Cistercian abbey of Mellifont in the 16th century there was listed at Newgrange a 'fishing-weir called Browny's Were with a fishery in the river there' (Went 1953, 23).
Compiled by: Caimin O'Brien
Date of upload 11 November 2013Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.