The weir marked at this location on all editions of the OS 6-inch maps belongs to a regulating weir on the River Boyne. There is no cartographic evidence to suggest that there was a medieval fish weir belonging to the Cistercian abbey of Mellifont at this location. In 1358, the Abbot of Mellifont obtained a judgment in his favour regarding the three fishing weirs at Rosnaree (ME019-068002-), Knowth and Staghlyn (ME019-066001-) (Went 1953, 22). At the dissolution of the abbey of the Mellifont, a fishing weir at 'Stalyng' was listed as part of the possessions of the abbey (ibid., 23). According to Went the 'fishing weirs at Staleen and Newgrange (ME019-068001-) have not been used recently for the capture of salmon. Only those of Oldbrige and Rosnaree (ME019-068002-) have been used for upwards of a century, although the Staleen (ME019-066001-) weir may have been used for eels in more recent years' (ibid., 23-4).
Compiled by: Caimin O'Brien
Date of upload: 11 November 2013.Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.