Browe Mill located on the River Boyne is listed in the possessions of the Cistercian abbey of Mellifont at its dissolution in 1539 (Stout 2002, 89). The Civil Survey of 1654 recorded two mills in the townland of Newgrange (ibid., 111-12). One of these mills was probably Browe Mill. A corn mill is depicted at this location on Bernard Scalé's map of the Caldwell estate dating from 1766 (ibid., 130-1; 133). This mill may have been one of the mills listed in the Civil Survey of 1654. No mill is depicted at this location on any edition of the OS 6-inch maps. However a rectangular structure depicted on the 25-inch map at this location may be the remains of the mill shown on the 1776 map.
Compiled by: Caimin O'Brien
Date of upload: 13 November 2013.
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.