Marked as a large, irregularly-shaped building described in gothic lettering as a 'Ruin' on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6" map, it is situated on the E bank of a S-N section of the small SW-NE Colp stream, which is c. 70m to the W and c. 250m S of the point where it enters the mud-flats of the SW-NE River Boyne estuary. Locally, this is thought to have been a monastery, and some walls that were not very ancient in appearance were visible. It may have been the site of the house, recorded as the property of John Draycott of Mornanstowne and Valeran Weisley of Dingen in 1640, along with 308 acres (Simington 1940, 3). A one storey and attic house is depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map of Duleek in this area (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 13 June, 2014Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage