Situated on a rise in a fairly level landscape. A castle at Donycarny (12) in Colp parish and Duleek barony is not depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). Nor is one recorded in the Civil Survey (1654-6), although only 40 acres at Donacarney was forfeit (Simington 1940, 4). This was known as ‘Draycott’s Castle’ and is thought to have been burnt in 1641. Later a forge was built against the remains (ITA Survey 1942). One wall is depicted on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Ruin’. Only the N wall (L 6m; T 1.75m) and the adjacent part of the E wall survive with a recess towards the W end and the springing of an E-W barrel-vault in the N wall. A fragment of the wall survives above the vault with a small light and the E side of the fragmentary remains of a fireplace with dressed stonework and a flue. Archaeological testing (01E1199) by L. Clarke c. 80-100m to the SE at the closest point produced no related material (excavations.ie 2001:958). Further archaeological testing (17E0043) by A. O’Connell c. 160m to the SSE had a similar result (excavations.ie 2017:605).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revised upload: 22 June 2016
Amended: 16 February 2021, 13 April 2021
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.