Situated in a gently undulating landscape. Killallon was known as Killamlan, and in 1214-5 William de Tuite reportedly found gold there (Orpen 1907, 241). The motte is a subcircular flat-topped mound (dims of top 22m E-W; 15m N-S; diam. of base 40m; H 4m at N to 7.5m at S) with a rectangular, grass-covered bailey (dims 35m NW-SE; 30m NE-SW), defined by scarps, attached to the NW. It is associated a field system (ME022-007----) just to the NW. The castle site (ME022-011----) is just N of the bailey and Killallon parish church (ME022-012----) is c. 90m to the NE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 21 July 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.