A castle is depicted as a tower on a hill in the vicinity of the parish church of Killallon on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map of Fore (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Christopher Earle of Fingal owned 550 acres there, including ‘a castle with a bawn, a ruinate church with six cabins a Corne Mill and a Tuck Mill’ (Simington 1940, 259). It is not indicated on any ed. of the OS 6-inch map. Just north of the bailey (ME022-010----) and situated on a rise in an undulating landscape, a length of masonry wall has been exposed in digging, and this is believed to be the remains of the castle. The motte (ME022-010----) is c. 75m to the S and the church (ME022-012----) is c. 100m to the ESE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.