Situated on a rise in a gently undulating low-lying landscape. It is depicted as a circular hachured feature only on the 1912 edition of the OS 6-inch map. This is a rectangular, grass-covered platform (dims 21m NE-SW; 15m NW-SE) with some mature deciduous trees. It is defined by wide, flat-bottomed and partly rock-cut fosses or moats (at NE: Wth of top c. 6m; Wth of base c. 4; int. D 1.3m; ext. D 2m) with low, wide external banks at NE and SE, but the external features are poorly defined at NW and absent at SW where they appear to have been truncated by a NW-SE field wall. There is a wide entrance through the outer bank at SE with a causeway across the fosse.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 27 February 2019Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage