You are hereHome >Church > ME01117 - GIRLEY - Church
Situated on a rise in an undulating landscape. A church at Girley is listed in the ecclesiastical taxation (1302-06) of Pope Nicholas IV (Cal. doc. Ire. 5, 260). Ussher (1622) describes the church and chancel as ruined (Erlington 1847-64, 1, lxxxix). According to Dopping’s Visitation (1682-5) the church, dedicated to St. Margaret, was in ruins and the graveyard was not enclosed (Ellison 1973, 9). The parish church of Girley is withIn a rectangular graveyard (dims c. 65m ENE-WSW; c. 35-40m NNW-SSE) defined by masonry walls. Only part of the W wall with a wide entrance and buttresses survives. The remains are probably 18th century in date. Some cut stone from windows of a late medieval church (ME023-015003-) are incorporated into the graveyard wall near the entrance. Part of a high cross (ME023-022----) is recorded from the graveyard.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987), No. 1408. In this instance the entry has been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Revised by: Paul Walsh/Michael Moore
Date of upload: 16 December 2014
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.