Situated on a rise in a low-lying fairly level landscape with a canalised NNW-SSE section of the Athboy River immediately to the E. It is depicted as a circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 50m) only on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map. This is a D-shaped grass-covered area (dims 51m N-S; 46m E-W) defined by the remnants of an earthen bank separated by a fosse from an outer bank. There is a second outer fosse or drain SE-W-NE that connects with the river at either end, and which has an external bank SE-S. There is a widened entrance through the inner (Wth of base 6m), and outer (Wth of base 9m) banks at SE with causeways over the inner (Wth of top 4.2m; H 0.45m) and outer (Wth of top 5.2m; H 0.3m) fosses. When inspected in 1969 the monument was divided into four quadrants by relict ditches dug NE-SW and NW-SE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 27 February 2019
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage