Situated on a level landscape with Faughan Hill visible c. 1.2km to the E. This is probably a chapel-of-ease to Martry parish church (ME017-037----), which is c. 3km to the NNE. The earliest reference might be in Dopping’s Visitation book (1682-5) where Halghton, which he describes as a chapel in Ardbraccan parish, was ruined since 1641 (Ellison 1972, 12). The grass-covered and clay-bonded foundations (Wth 0.7-1.15m) of a church (int. dims 11.9m E-W; 5.7m N-S) are within a rectangular graveyard (dims c. 37m E-W; c. 33m N-S) defined by grass covered earthen banks and hedges. The E wall is flush with the ground and there is no evidence of a chancel (Moore 1987, 127, No. 1325). The few headstones date from 1811 to 1991.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 16 December, 2014Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage