Situated on a rise in an undulating landscape. This may be the church site referred to by Cogan (1862, vol. 2, 258-60) as Killeenagolach - the burial ground of weeping, which was ‘dug up and the tombstones taken away’ until it was reduced to an oval mound ‘fifty yards by forty six (c. 45m x c. 42m), which has an extensive view from the summit’. One straight section of a grass-covered earthen bank (L 51m; Wth 7m; H c. 1m) forms the SE side of a square enclosure (dim. c. 55m NW-SE) which has slight traces of a bank at SW and which is visible on aerial photograph (GSIAP: N 281) from the 1970s.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 20 June, 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.