Situated on a rise in a fairly level landscape and at the crest of a fairly gentle slope down to a SW-NE section of the River Boyne that is c. 200m distant. There is a quarry face (H c. 10m) immediately to the NE. This was described in 1969 (SMR file) as an oval grass and scrub-covered platform (dims of top 38m N-S; 27m E-W) defined by a scarp (at WSW: Wth 8m; H 1.3m; at ENE: Wth 6m; H 2m) with a berm (at WSW: Wth 2m; at ENE: Wth 6.5m) at its base defined by a scarp (at WSW: Wth 3m; H 0.6m; at ENE: Wth 3.5m; H 1.7m) that melds into the natural slope. There is a possible entrance (Wth 3.5m) at ESE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
This monument is subject to a preservation order made under the National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2014 (PO no. 9/1957) and is in state guardianship, No. 496.
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Revised: 29 March 2023
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage