Situated on the E bank of a NNW-SSE section of the River Balckwater with the stream c. 30m to the W. Michael Cusack of Portraine, Co. Dublin, who died in 1589 had married Margaret Dexter and through her he acquired the castle and town of Rathaldron (Hickey 1970, 59). They are commemorated on the cross (ME025-013----) that was on the old road to Rathaldron c. 700m to the SE. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Patrick Cusacke owned 260 acres at Rathaldron in Donaghmore parish in 1640, and the property included ‘one Castle, one Mill, and one Weare’ (Simington 1940, 225). The castle was adapted into a dwelling in the early 19th century when castellated wings were added to the SE and SW. It is still occupied but the original tower has four storeys and is vaulted over the ground floor. Some original lights survive in the S and W walls but most of the windows have been adapted into pointed gothic-style windows.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of revision: 28 June 2016
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage