Situated on a bluff overlooking a W-E section of the River Boyne c. 100m to the S. This could be an early castle but its history is obscure. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Thomas Darcy owned the entire parish consisting of 395 acres in 1640, and on the premises there was ‘a Castle, a Church, a Mill, an Orchard and a fishing weare’ (Simington 1940, 322). This is a large rectangular structure (dims c. 15m E-W; c. 10m N-S) with circular towers at the angles, but only those at SE and SW survive. The ground floor is buried but was vaulted and had a loft as well as long arrow-loops on the S wall. There is a newel stairs in the SW tower which has a key-hole gun-loop. The first floor has large windows that are robbed. There is a two-storey gabled building with an oven at the ground floor attached to the E. The church (ME025-018001-) is immediately adjacent to the W. (Sweetman 1999, 99-100)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 10 July 2007Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage