Sir William Wilde (1849, 163) records the discovery of several sepulchral urns in small cists at a place called Knock-a-Raymon. Its exact location is not known but it was further down the river than the flax mill that is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and it is likely to be on the high ground overlooking the river. Archaeological testing (99E0010) in the vicinity of this location by J. Kiely produced no related material (excavations.ie 1999: 699), and further testing (20E0493) by Donald Murphy had a similar result (excavations.ie 2020:222).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Revised: 29 March 2023
Wilde, W. R. W. 1849 (reprinted 1978) The Beauties of the Boyne and its tributary, the Blackwater. McGlashan, Dublin Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage