Situated on a sight NW-SE ridge in a fairly level landscape. A church at the ‘vill of Folevile’ is listed in the ecclesiastical taxation (1302-06) of Pope Nicholas IV (Cal. doc. Ire. 5, 255). Ussher (1622) describes the church and chancel of Follestowne as in reasonable repair (Erlington 1847-64, 1, lxxvii). According to Dopping’s Visitation (1682-5) the church and chancel were in ruins since 1641, and it was not enclosed (Ellison 1972, 7-8). The parish church of Follistown is visible as the foundations of an undivided rectangular building (int. dims 11.15m E-W; 5.15m N-S) in a neglected D-shaped graveyard (dims c. 50m E-W; c. 30m N-S) defined by masonry walls. There are gaps on the N and S walls of the church towards the W end, which may represent doorways. The undecorated sandstone font was moved to Johnstown Roman Catholic church (ME025-041001-), c. 3km to the W, in 1852 (Cogan 1862 70, 2, 238) where it is set up outside the door. It is octagonal (ext. dim. 0.65-0.67m; H 0.5m) with a circular basin (diam. 0.51m; D 0.2m) and chamfered under-panels. The font sits uncomfortably on an octagonal stem (H 0.38m) that narrows slightly at the waist where there is a horizontal moulded rib (Wth 0.05m). The stem is limestone and might not belong with the basin (Roe 1968, 119 21).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 17 December, 2014Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage