Situated on a slight E-facing slope and at the NE extremity of the large parish of Duleek. Plattin was a possession of the Benedictine priory of Lanthony in England, and at the Suppression in 1540 it was being leased to Sir William Darcy for six pounds, ten shillings (White 1943, 314). Darcy also had land leased for twenty shillings at Callistown (Calliaghstown?) and in Kilsharvan parish. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Nicholas Darcy of Platten held 608 acres at Platten and Callestowne, and another 190 acres at Carranstowne in Duleek parish. While a castle (ME027-003002-) and outhouses at Platten are mentioned there is no reference to a church (Simington 1940, 17). Nor is a church recorded on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map of Duleek. The church dates from the 16th century and probably served as an estate or private chapel. Therefore it might not come under the purview of the diocese of Meath, and it is not recorded in the visitations of Ussher (1622) (Erlington 1847-64, 1, lxi-lxviii) or Dopping (1682-5) (Ellision 1971, 33-7) as a church of Duleek deanery. There is no evidence of an enclosure or of burial associated with it, but the probable site of the castle is where Platin Hall was built c. 1700, which is c. 30m to the NW.
The church is an undivided nave and chancel structure (int. dims 11.3m E-W; 5.2m N-S) that survives complete with opposing round-headed doorways (Wth 0.94m) in flat-headed embrasures towards the W end of the N and S walls, and with a stoup only inside the S doorway. The window lights are all round-headed, but those on the N wall are in re-used Dundry stone. There are two steps up to the altar at the E end, with beam-holes in the N and S walls above the steps, suggesting the former presence of a rood screen. There is a double-light window with a damaged belfry above it in in the W wall, but the belfry may have had only a single opening. There is a triple-light window in the E wall. The S wall has three double-light windows, one being W of the doorway while the N wall has two single-light windows.
The fragment of a cross (dims 0.28m x 0.17m; H 0.79m) dated c. 1480-1500 with foliage and figure sculpture of a crucifixion and a Madonna over an angel in a niche is cemented into its base in the embrasure of the E window (King 1984, 101). Also in the church is a disc-headed cross (diam. 0.33m; T 0.12m) with a raised ring, which has a cross on each face formed by raised arcs springing from the ring. One face has the raised letters VM and IM on the cross, which probably dates to the late 17th century.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 22 December, 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.