The remains of Bellewstown castle stand c. 30m E of the present Bellewstown House. On a building to the E of Bellewstown castle , known as the Lodge, there are two inscribed stones which when combined with a third stone in Sarsefieldstown form a full inscription that commemorates John Bellew repairing the steps and door of Bellewstown castle in 1598 (pers comm. Mr Colin Byrne, Briarleas, County Meath). The W plaque reads: THE ARMES / KNIGHT AND HIS W / NUGENT AND IE / S STEPPES AND / OUR LORD GOD / 1598. (O'Boyle 1984)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In this instance the entry have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 10 October, 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.